6 May 2018

6th May 2018 - There is something about Mary

On this weeks programme John and Shane explore thoughts and devotions around the month of May and Marian devotion with a vox pop from around the world from Totus2us and with a reflection from Mary Keating. In addition we have our regular reflection on the Sunday gospel, saints of the week and other liturgical odds & ends.

You can listen to the podcast of this weeks full programme HERE.

There is something about Mary



May is the month of Mary but what does that mean to people? On this weeks programme we looked around for some ordinary, every day thoughts and reflections from people to share about this woman who has been remembered for over 2000 years, depicted in more art than any other human and to whom many have such an intimate relationship.


First up we have some reflections from a website called Totus2us. It is a website and series of podcasts online which describes itself as giving voice to faith, hope and love from all around the world, especially among St John Paul II, Papa Benedict XVI & Pope Francis's 'dearest young people'. Dedicated to Our Lady, Totus2us wants to highlight what's good, true and beautiful, to help us to pray and not be afraid to follow Jesus Christ. There are voices from 125 countries so far on over 40 audio Totus2us podcasts. Every day someone new from around the world tells us something about what Our Lady means to them. So on SS102fm this morning we put together a medley/vox pop of some of the reflections shared by Totus2us.


Secondly SS102fm friend Mary Keating joins us to share her thoughts and reflections on Mary as Mother prompted by the new feast day put into the liturgical calendar by Pope Francis on the Monday after Pentecost Sunday. The Blessed Virgin Mary is so much the image of mother, from the very moment of her yes to the angel taking the risk of an unplanned pregnancy up to a mothers role to the handing on of faith to children up to the time of our death when she is praying and accompanying us into that final journey.

You can listen to Mary's reflection excerpted from the main programme podcast HERE.




Gospel - John 15: 9-17


As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete. “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.
Reflections on this weeks gospel:

Word on Fire
Sunday Reflections
Centre for Liturgy
English Dominican

Liturgical odds & ends

Liturgy of the Hours - Psalter week 2; 6th week of Easter

Saints of the Week

May 7th - Apparition of the Holy Cross over Jerusalem
May 8th - Bl John Sullivan SJ
May 9th - Bl Karolina Gerhardinger
May 10th - St Comgall - depending where you are, it could also be the Ascension of the Lord (see below)
May 11th - St Criotin of Macreddin
May 12th - St Pancras

Liturgical jigs & reels

The Solemnity of the Ascension of Our Lord celebrates the day on which Jesus Christ, 40 days after His rising from the dead, ascended bodily into heaven. This feast which has been traditionally celebrated on the 40th day after Easter Sunday which is always a Thursday.  However, the actual day of celebration can vary from country to country and even from diocese to diocese. In Ireland, the UK, South Africa, Australia and parts of the USA,  the various Catholic Bishops’ Conferences, in accordance with canon law, petitioned the Holy See to allow the celebration to be transferred to the following Sunday. In other places, the solemnity is still celebrated on the Thursday. 

The celebration of the feast of Our Lady of Fatima on May 13th is not celebrated this year as the Sunday/Ascension takes precedence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.